[Tutor] associating two objects without ORM and processing a text file

Mitya Sirenef msirenef at lightbird.net
Mon Feb 11 06:28:40 CET 2013

On 02/11/2013 12:14 AM, neubyr wrote:

 > I have a text file with each line in following format:
 >
 > Book Name, Author Name, Genre, Publication Date
 >
 > I would like to perform following queries on this file:
 > * Get all books written by an author
 > * Remove all books of an author
 > * Get information about a book (pretty print matching line!)
 > * Get books of particular genre
 >
 > Also, I would like to add and delete entries in this file. I am not
planning to use any database for this purpose and would like to get
better grasp on file parsing and classes/OOP. I need some help in
creating classes and following are my initial thoughts:

 > # Create a class for Book object
 > class Book:
 > atributes: name, author_name, genre, publication-date
 >
 > # Create
 > Author:
 > attribute(s): name
 >
 > # Create class for reading and writing to the file
 > class Booksfile:
 > methods: ??
 >

 > * How do I associate/relate Book and Author classes so that it will
help me in getting information like 'get list of books written by an
author'? Data attribute?
 > * Should I create a new Booksfile object for reading, writing and
deleting entries in the file OR add corresponding methods to the book
object itself?

 > I am not planning to use SQLite or any database and would like to use
text file only. Appreciate any help on designing such application.

Book.author should be author instance,

Author
     def books(self):
         return [b for b in books if b.author==self]

Get lists by genre etc in a similar way.

To do file processing, look at the standard csv module:

http://docs.python.org/2/library/csv.html

     -m

The doer alone learneth.  Friedrich Nietzsche