[Tutor] same python script now running much slower

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 30 23:08:31 CET 2013

On 30/12/13 18:37, Protas, Meredith wrote:

> I am using a python script generated by another person.  I have used
> this script multiple times before and it takes around 24 hours to run.

That's a long time by any standards.
I assume its processing an enormous amount of data?

>   Recently, I have tried to run the script again (the same exact command
> lines) and it is much much slower.

How much slower?
Precision is everything in programming...

> Does anyone have any idea why it is so much slower now than it used to
> be (just around a month ago).

There are all sorts of possibilities but without any idea of what it
does or how it does it we would only be making wild guesses.

Here are some...
Maybe you have increased your data size since last time? Maybe the
computer configuration has changed? Maybe somebody modified the
script? Maybe the data got moved to a network drive, or an
optical disk? Who knows?

Without more detail we really can't say.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site