[Tutor] Question about distribute in pypi

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 27 14:53:52 CET 2013

 Subject: Re: [Tutor] Question about distribute in pypi
 To: "daedae11" <daedae11 at 126.com>
 Cc: tutor at python.org
 Date: Friday, December 27, 2013, 8:19 AM

 On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM,
 daedae11 <daedae11 at 126.com>
 wrote:
 > Are distribute 0.6.49 and distribute 0.7.3 the same
 plugin's different
 > version?

 distribute is a fork of setuptools. The fork was merged
 back, so for a
 fresh installation of Python just install setuptools. The
 0.7.3
 package updates an existing distribute installation to the
 latest
 version of setuptools.

===> That's good to know. I always thought that setuptools had become sort of obsolete (though still widely used). So would it be fair to conclude that setuptools is now the winner of all those packaging tools?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6344076/differences-between-distribute-distutils-setuptools-and-distutils2

I checked distutils2 on pypi. Last updated March 2012 IIRC. Died during alpha phase, it seems. I tried it once but experienced problems with a very basic script.