[Tutor] Getting Started

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 13:21:36 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

> The graphical window that you describe is called cmd.exe and it is the
> standard "terminal emulator" for Windows.

Oscar,

cmd doesn't create or manage the console window. That's done by
another process that acts as the console server (conhost, or csrss in
older versions). cmd is just a command-line shell. When you run
another program in cmd, like python.exe, the shell's thread just waits
for the child process to exit. The child process inherits the console
and standard I/O handles for talking to the console server.

If you run python.exe from Explorer, Windows creates a new console
window since the executable is marked as a console application. On
Windows 7 (NT 6.1) it creates 2 processes: python.exe and conhost.exe.
cmd.exe isn't in the loop.

> Now here's what happens if I just type "py" to enter the Python console:

Note that py.exe is installed by Python 3.3. If you haven't installed
3.3, you can download the launcher from the project site:

https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/pylauncher