[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 118, Issue 75

Keith Winston keithwins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 20:01:12 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM, <Mark Lawrence> wrote:

> Are you saying that it can't do list comprehensions, recursive functions
> and floating point arithmetic correctly?

My understanding is that the answer here is essentially yes: that quantum
computing requires a different approach to the problem, and can be
shockingly powerful in some kind of flexible pattern-matching kind of
stuff: for example, they talk about "training" one to do image
classification. I think they are not programmed in a similar way at all.

As long as we're OT on interesting alternative computing, Jeff Hawkins has
some AMAZING things going on: read his book "On Intelligence", read papers
published online, and/or watch some of the Youtube vids (I think they
actually might have the most recent info): again, it's a deeply different
way of thinking about computing (analogous perhaps to functional vs. OOP),
as near as I can tell, though in this case I think perhaps you could do it
in Python... just not efficiently. I think with the quantum stuff you
actually can't do the same thing on a binary computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_eT5bsS4bQ

--
Keith