[Tutor] Thanks a bunch (was Re: Tutor Digest, Vol 118, Issue 64)

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 13:10:12 CET 2013

Hi,

On 15 December 2013 05:38, eryksun <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Walter Prins <wprins at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Gmail matches the format of the sender.  If I reply to a text format
>> email, the reply is text format.  If the original is HTML mail, it
>> replies in HTML format.  In that sense it talks back and respects the
>> sender on their terms.  Also, there is a drop down (right bottom) with
>> which it's trivial to change from one format to the other.
>
> This is contrary to my experience. If I send a test message to myself
> in rich text mode, Gmail's webmail composer remembers that setting the
> next time I reply (i.e., the reply uses styled block quoting,
> practically destined to be mangled as messages are quoted multiple
> times through incompatible clients). This setting is apparently stored
> in one's account and remembered across sessions. I can log out, remove
> all Google cookies, and the choice of rich text persists in a new
> session. But outside of a test message, I never use rich text. When I
> reply it's always in plain text mode; the format of the original
> message doesn't matter. Maybe it's more complicated than this, but I
> can only speak from experience.

OK perhaps it remembers your preference for original emails sent by
yourself as well, but for replies (which is what I was commenting on)
my experience is as I described.  To test it -- hit reply or reply-all
on this message (which is text mode), and you'll see the reply format
will be text mode, as indicated by the button bottom right.  Then go
and find a digest email or any other email originally sent to you as
HTML/dual mode and hit reply -- you'll find the reply is in HTML mode
by default.