[Tutor] global variables

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 22 18:10:50 CEST 2013

On 23/08/13 00:12, Matthew Ngaha wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Chris Down <chris at chrisdown.name> wrote:
>> I would doubt that anyone has told you "don't ever use classes", because
>> that's nonsense; you've probably misread a dissuasion from that path in a
>> single instance as applying more broadly than was intended.
>
> I am being totally honest here. I was very confused at the time and i
> said i didn't agree because it's what i had put so much effort into
> learning. They went on to say at some well known Python talks speakers
> have stated why using OOP (especially inheritance, but not excluding
> any others) is very bad design and the same thing can always be
> achieved without it. To be clear they said every use case OOP is the
> worst option. I asked what about GUIs which their design is strongly
> based around OOP? and they sad GUIs are badly designed to begin with
> so it proves the point about OOP.

Well I agree with that last point.

As far as "avoid OOP", I suspect they were thinking about this (in)famous video:

http://pyvideo.org/video/880/stop-writing-classes

Here is a counter-viewpoint:

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2013/2/13/moar-classes/

I think both have excellent advice. Many people do write unnecessary, complicated classes, and many people do unnecessarily lock up the inner workings of their code.

--
Steven