[Tutor] adding users to tweets on a list

Saad Javed sbjaved at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 11:40:14 CEST 2013

> It looks like you're using Python 2, but you didn't specify.
>
> I'd probably do something like this:
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env python
>
>     MAX_LENGTH = 140
>
>     users = [
>         "saad", "asad", "sherry", "danny", "ali", "hasan", "adil",
> "yousaf",
>         "maria", "bilal", "owais",
>     ]
>
>     def populate():
>         message = raw_input("Enter string: ")
>         while users:
>             new_message = " ".join([message, "@" + users.pop(0)])
>             if len(new_message) > MAX_LENGTH:
>                 break
>             message = new_message
>         return message
>
>     if __name__ == "__main__":
>         print(populate())

It will add max no. of  users to one tweet until limit is reached. I want
all users added to the tweet. E.g. if 4 users can be added to the tweet
before reaching the limit, return three tweets...first two with 4 users
attached and the last one with three. Think of it as sending the same tweet
with all the users in the list mentioned. The code I posted does that but
can only add 3 users at a time. I want it to be able to calculate maximum
no of users it can attach to the tweet and then keep doing it until the
list runs out. Hope i've explained my problem. And yes, i'm using python 2.

Saad