[Tutor] Implementing Copy/Cut/Paste menu actions using MainWindow/PyQT4

SM sunithanc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 16:52:16 CEST 2013

Hello,
I am using the PyQT4 designer to create the MainWindow with very simple
drop-down menu items. File->Exit, Edit->Cut,Copy,Paste
After converting .ui to .py I am trying to make some manual modifications
to the Python script to set the SLOTs for cut/copy/paste actions.

Within the main window, I have a tabbed-Gui, where clicking on each tab
will display more options for the users to choose various files and
directories. I am using lineEdit and TextEdit widgets for this and would
like to have the cut/copy/paste menus from the MainWindow let the user use
them while typing text into the lineEdit and textEdit spaces.
I am setting the slots as below:
        self.actionExit.triggered.connect(self.exitMenu)
        self.actionCopy.triggered.connect(self.copyMenu)
        self.actionCut.triggered.connect(self.cutMenu)
        self.actionPaste.triggered.connect(self.pasteMenu)

I am implementing routines for the "slot" functions, where I need help.
Exit action works. But I couldn't find a way to implement the rest for this
situation where there
are multiple locations on the Gui where these actions are to be done.
    def exitMenu(self):
        QtCore.QCoreApplication.instance().quit()

    def cutMenu(self):
        print("cutting  text ")
        ???

    def copyMenu(self):
        print("Copying text ")
        ???

    def pasteMenu(self):
        print("Pasting text ")
        ???

If I was using just one editor for all these actions, I could do something
like:

edit = QtGui <http://qt-project.org/doc/QtGui.html>.QTextEdit<http://qt-project.org/doc/QTextEdit.html>
(self)
pasteAction.triggered.connect(edit.paste)
cutAction.triggered.connect(edit.cut)
etc.

But here I have multiple places on multiple tabs of the Gui to do
cut/copy/paste actions. Is there a way in PyQt4 that I can do it?

Thanks!
SM