[Tutor] unittest skipping tests

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Aug 1 15:47:59 CEST 2013

Matthew Ngaha wrote:

> Thanks guys. i was following some examples and noticed it. I tried to
> use it in my program and the same thing happened. In this example,
> there are 6 tests, and only 4 run.

class TestAverage(unittest.TestCase):

[...]

    def test_python30_mine(self):
        self.assertRaises(ZeroDivisionError,
                average,
                [5])

[...]
    #although sum is Zero, the length is not Zero
    def test_python30_mine(self):
        self.assertRaises(ZeroDivisionError,
                average,
                [0])

You need a different name for every method. That's the same situation as

x = "foo"
x = "bar"
print(x) # there's no way to find the previous value of x

Python's 'def' is executable code similar to an assignment, basically

def f(): ...

makes a function object and binds it to the name 'f'.