[Tutor] totalViruses[i] /= float(numTrials),

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Apr 25 01:08:46 CEST 2013

On 04/24/2013 06:58 PM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On 24 April 2013 23:41, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

Thanks for your help Oscar.  I was trying to keep it simple for a
beginner.  So I deliberately did not elaborate on the exception.  But
the one I had in mind was the behavior of a list, when += is used.

a = [1,2,3]
b = a
b += [4]     versus     b = b + [4]

The former would change a, while the latter would not.

If += were a literal substitution, like a macro, then this distinction
could not happen.

So all I said was for immutables (and int and float are immutable), the
statement was true.

--
DaveA