[Tutor] path directory backslash ending

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 15:53:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:

> But that's in win 7. Is it okay to always omit them in Linux? Python33
> is itself installed with a trailing backslash, so I figured this was a
> Linux habit.

POSIX/Linux uses a forward slash instead of a backslash (py: os.sep),
and the delimiter in PATH is a colon instead of a semicolon (py:
os.pathsep). There's no convention I know of to use trailing slashes.

You might also consider using the PEP 405 "venv" module:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405

When you "activate" the environment it prepends the "Scripts" (or
"bin") directory to PATH. The option "--symlinks" requires an elevated
security token on Windows, but just to create the virtual environment.
If you'd rather copy over the required DLLs, there's a "--upgrade"
option for when you upgrade to Python 3.4, etc.

> An entirely different question as long as I'm here. I have a local
> wamp server with mysql and phpadmin for php so I can test web pages
> locally. What's the equivalent for Python?

Here's a sampling of links. Hopefully a web developer will provide a
more detailed answer.

mod_wsgi
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationOnWindows

The wiki has several integration guides for popular frameworks.

mod_wsgi Windows binaries:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#mod_wsgi

Python Web Server Gateway Interface v1.0.1
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3333