[Tutor] path directory backslash ending

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Apr 18 18:59:41 CEST 2013

On 04/18/2013 12:45 PM, Jim Mooney wrote:
> Minor question. I was adding the Py Script directory to the Win 7
> Path, and noticed that Python33 ends with a backslash but many
> directories do not. Is there a difference? Should I use backslash or
> not preferentially, or doesn't it matter at all? It does seem odd that
> there's no convention for this.

There's no Python convention.  There may be a Windows convention, but I
doubt it.  As far as I could tell when I was stuck in Windows, the only
time a trailing backslash was significant was when there was nothing in
front of it but a colon and/or a drive letter.

In Linux, applications are free to make their own use of the trailing
backslash, and I know that rsync does something different with it
present than without.  But in the PATH, it doesn't matter.

--
DaveA