[Tutor] design question (Django?)

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 14 16:45:00 CEST 2013

>Would it also be a good idea to simultaneously make a paper-and-pencil drawing of the UI? Personally I do. At work we call these UI sketches  "wireframes" and they are used to figure
out the interaction. The focus is on the relative position of controls and the workflow for
the user rather than the cosmetics. There are lots of articles and web sites on the science
of UI design and usability.
the hardest part of software construction is the design stage.It always is and the bigger the project the more formal the design needs to be.
Most of the projects discussed on the tutor list can be done with little or no design
(the equivalent of building a dog kennel or garden shed) but as you progress to
more complex designs (think house extension) you need at least a basic design
diagram to follow. And as you move into big projects with multiple developers
or even multiple teams (think skyscraper or airport terminal) you really need
clear, formally expressed designs to keep everything consistent. One of the things
I like about UML is that it can be used at all levels, just pick the bits that are
relevant to your project.

HTH,

Alan G.