[Tutor] FYI: An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 9 22:04:16 CEST 2013

On 09/04/13 13:47, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> Since when did 30 become a representative sample size?
>
> If they are randomly selected, 30 is likely plenty for a representative
> sample size. In surveys, a sample size of 30 gives you a margin of error
> of about 15%, which isn't too bad.

Hmm, if I'd gone to my manager (and especially the finance director)
with a project proposal based on assumptions with a 15% margin they'd
have thrown me out. And if I told them I'd developed 5 key assumptions
based on that same proposal I'd probably have been fired! I'd be looking
for something like 300+ samples for a project like this to claim that my
5 key principles were valid. And its not like there is a shortage of
computer scientists to ask (although admittedly harder to find ones with
no formal computer training)!

> 1) it is likely to be a biased selection

My suspicion is they just asked around their local department!
But maybe I'm just overly suspicious...

> 2) both computer scientists and educators are prone to fashions, and
> Java is one such fashion.

I don't care about the language since their 5 principles of learning are
language independent. It was the idea that you could define 5 key
principles needed to learn to program from a sample size of 30...

If they came to me to peer review that I'd have been telling them to go
back and do a bigger survey!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site