[Tutor] floating point rounding inconsistency

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Sep 29 05:35:01 CEST 2012

On 29/09/12 07:27, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Steven D'Aprano<steve at pearwood.info>  wrote:
[...]
>> I'm not impressed. He sprouts off about how you can't use Python on mobile
>> devices, when you can. What makes you think his opinions on breaking
>> working code just because he thinks he knows the "right ways" are any less
>> ignorant?
>
> I don't think the newbie mailing list is the right place to show that
> kind of hostility, if indeed there is a right place.

Did I break some unwritten law?

"Thou shall not puncture newbie's illusion that all Python users and developers
are part of one great big happy family where everyone agrees with everyone else
all the time."

I think that Calvin's blog post was FUD. It may have been genuinely held, and
not intentionally FUD, but the comments on his blog demonstrate that he was
out of touch of the state of Python in at least one of the areas he was most
concerned about. I think his argument against round(x, n) is equally ignorant
and wrong-headed.

I'm sorry that you consider this frank expression of my opinion to be hostility.

--
Steven