[Tutor] Input handling?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 11:02:06 CEST 2012

On Sep 18, 2012 7:14 AM, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:04:22AM -0400, Dave Angel wrote:
> > Somehow you managed to put your other message in its own thread, instead
> > of adding to this one.
>
> Not all mail clients support threading, either when receiving or
> sending.
>
> But my mail client, mutt, shows Scott's emails threaded correctly.
> Perhaps your mail client is broken? What are you using?

Mutt goes above and beyond a correct implementation of threading by using
heuristics to fix broken threads. I know it parses the subject line but I'm
not sure what else it uses. The upshot is that if you use mutt you won't
see the same thing that would be shown in a client that has a strict
interpretation of threading (unless you disable the heuristics in your
muttrc).

Oscar