[Tutor] All possible 16 character alphanumeric strings?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 16 06:17:00 CEST 2012

On 16/09/12 14:11, akleider at sonic.net wrote:
>> Akleider, you didn't include attribution for the person you are quoting,
>> which is a bit rude and also means I can't be sure who it was. From
>> context, I *think* it is the original poster Scott:

> I do sincerely apologize for anything that was rude. Please believe me, it
> was not my intent to be so.

No problem! It's just a minor faux pas to *not* name the person you are
quoting when replying to email. It just makes it hard for people to know
who said what.

> I also apologize for in any way contributing to anything that might be
> considered nefarious.  I did not appreciate that the goal of the exercise
> was less than honourable.

Again, no, I don't think there's anything nefarious in trying to discover
TOR networks. I'm curious to know what is out there myself. It's just
that the naivety of the original poster, Scott, thinking that this was a
trivial problem to solve when it was *designed* to be massively hard to solve
even for the CIA or Chinese military. I don't think he's a bad guy, just a
bit lacking in numeracy.

--
Steven