[Tutor] 'class' for someone with no object oriented programming experience

Art Scheel ascheel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:34:08 CEST 2012

I can vaguely follow object oriented code.  I can handle the basic stuff
like string manipulation and functions just fine for the most part.

Classes elude me almost entirely.  I've followed the tutorials at
http://bit.ly/MCAhYx and http://goo.gl/c170V but in neither one do classes
click.  I can't progress past that because it's such a core element to
python, it's like building a car from the ground up but never learning how
to add oil.

For instance...  exercises 40-43 make no sense to me:
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ex40.html

I simply can't understand it.  I'm not a fool, I've been able to handle a
few other programming languages.  I can handle SQL.  I can build entire
servers.  I just can't handle classes in python.

As an example, I am going to reference this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6671620/list-users-in-irc-channel-using-twisted-python-irc-framework

I know what it's referencing in the twisted library at this link:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/words/im/ircsupport.py#L160

I've also tried implementing it myself, but I don't understand what it's
doing so I fail and I throw errors.

Are there any better resources for learning classes for someone who's never
touched object oriented programming in the past besides basic
interpretation for debugging purposes?

--
Molon Labe
"Come and take them"

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
-Eleanor Roosevelt