[Tutor] simon says

William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrw at mac.com
Tue Sep 11 02:26:27 CEST 2012

On Sep 10, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Matthew Ngaha <chigga101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi guy my book has set me an assignment of a simon says game but i
> don't really understand what it's asking me to do. here's the text:
>
> write a version of the simon says game where a player has to repeat an
> ever-growing, random sequence of colours and sounds using the
> keyboard.
>
> Anyone understand the task?

Sounds as though what is wanted in a Pythonic version of an early electronic game "Simon" that was marketed back in the late 70's.  It was roughly Frisbee shaped although slightly larger.  The top was divided into four quadrant-shaped paddles each of a different color.  The game consisted of Simon generating longer and longer sequences of random color-sound flashes (each element in the sequence consisted of a momentary sound accompanied by the appropriate quadrant lighting up).  After Simon had generated a sequence, the player had to duplicate it by pressing the paddles.  A successful recreation of a sequence was rewarded by Simon generating a longer one, until the player finally screwed up.  At that point Simon made an electronic rude noise and the device was handed on to the next player if there were multiple players.  The player who succeeded in matching the longest sequence was the winner of that round.

I'll bet ebay still has them for sale, and Google would get you a description that would be better than mine.

-Bill