[Tutor] help with homework

Asokan Pichai pasokan at talentsprint.com
Mon Oct 29 09:37:59 CET 2012

[SNIPPED]

> Always use a while loop in this situation,

This is excellent advice. Use a for loop in two
situations:
 1. Iterating a fixed(known) number of times
 2. Iterating through the contents of any container

Use a while loop to iterate as long as a condition applies.

> regardless of whether or not
> teachers put stupid artificial constraints on your code,
> such as banning the use of len().

There may be legitimate learning outcomes for a teacher
to specify such conditions.
In this case, learning to use a counter that is incremented
under certain conditions. I would hesitate to condemn in
such strong terms without knowing more background.

Asokan Pichai