[Tutor] HELP!

Brian van den Broek brian.van.den.broek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 04:13:23 CEST 2012

On 1 Oct 2012 19:58, "Mark Rourke" <mark.rourke7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello, I am a college student in my first year of computer programming, I was wondering if you could look at my code to see whats wrong with it.
>
> # Mark Rourke
> # Sept 29, 2012
> # Write a program to calculate the sales tax at the rate of 4% and 2% respectively
> # Thereafter compute the total sales tax (sum of the state tax and the county tax)
> # and the total purchase amount (sum of the purchase amount and the total sales tax).

<snip>

> SALES_TAX = 0.4
>
> COUNTY_TAX = 0.02

<snip>

> purchaseAmount = input("Please input the Purchase Amount: $")
>
> #Calculate the State Sales Tax, County Sales Tax, Total Sales Tax, Total Purchase Amount
>
> purchaseAmount = int(purchaseAmount)
>
> stateSalesTax = int(purchaseAmount * SALES_TAX)

<snip>

Hi Mark,

c smith is certainly right to suggest that you ought to specify a bit
more about what the symptoms are that you would like help diagnosing.

That said, what should be the result if an item with a sticker price
of 1.35 is purchased? Perhaps thinking about that and comparing the
following will help:

IDLE 2.6.6
>>> user_input = "1.35"
>>> purchaseAmount = int(user_input)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
    purchaseAmount = int(user_input)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '1.35'
>>> user_input = float("1.35")
>>> purchaseAmount = int(user_input)
>>> purchaseAmount
1