[Tutor] Creating a torrent file & associated tracker through a django web app

ashish makani ashish.makani at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:57:26 CET 2012

Clarifying query inline .

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Timo <timomlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 21-11-12 08:54, ashish makani schreef:
>

>> Hi Tutor folks
>>
>> I am trying to achieve the following :
>>
>> The user should log into a web app, select a file & the web app should
>> generate a .torrent file & a private tracker(http://IP_ADDRESS<http://ip_address/>
>> :**PORT_NUMBER/announce) for that .torrent file.
>>
>> Basically, i want to programmatically create a .torrent file, on the
>> server side.
>>
>> I found two libraries mktorrent[1] & py3createtorrent [2], but i need
>> help with how to create a torrent from a django web app.
>>
>> Any suggestions for django modules or libraries which can do this ?
>>
>> You don't need Django specific modules, just use the ones you linked and
> install them on your server. It doesn't matter if you call it from a script
> on your desktop or a Django webapp.
> Looking at the example on Wikipedia [1], it's not hard to create it
> manually. It even looks like a JSON file, you'll just need a way to bencode
> the data.
>
> Timo

Thanks a ton Timo for your prompt reply.
I am a django newbie, so can you please clarify the following for me :

I can create a torrent using py3createtorrent locally, but am unable to
figure how it will work via a django web app.

To make it work locally, i specified the local location of the folder, i
wanted to create a torrent for.

In the web app scenario, the user selects the content present on the user's
local machine,
after that, how do i use py3createtorrent to create a torrent on the server
end, since the content is not present on the server .