[Tutor] memoize, lookup, or KIS?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Mon Nov 19 22:25:58 CET 2012

Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

[snip]
> > Also, you should have some way to stop the lookup table from growing forever.
> > If you are running Python 3.3, you can use functools.lru_cache, which
> > implements a Least Recently Used cache. Once the cache reaches a certain size,
> > the element which was least recently used is flushed.
> >

> I read about that. Time to upgrade! Wish I could use this in the office!

Why can you not? Even if you are not using Python3.2+ you should be able
to back port it from the Python source. You may need to backport other
features (e.g. OrderedDict) depending on the Python version you use.
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/tags/r32b1/Lib/functools.py

Alternatively, you can use Raymond Hettinger's recipe. At a brief glance,
it looks to be Python 2.x compatible.
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/498245/

~Ramit