[Tutor] Python books

Ed Owens eowens0124 at gmx.com
Sat Nov 10 02:18:38 CET 2012

I've been trying to learn Python, writing a Blackjack program. Seems
that's a common problem for learning.  I'm not in a class or school,
just working on my own.  I've been working in Python 2.7, and
considering moving up to 3.x.  My programming background is ancient,
having done most of my programming in FORTRAN. I have been using free
internet resources to learn, mostly Google searches on syntax, and their
free courses.

I have the basic game done: dealing from a shoe of multiple decks,
splits, betting, etc.  and started to work on the harder parts such as
graphics of the table with cards, managing record keeping, and so on.
There seem to be a plethora of packages and options, many of them
outside of the "standard" Python installation.  Plus, I'm still
discovering how to do things with the standard library.  I need more
structure and organization!

I have one book, "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner" by
Dawson, which is too plodding. Can you experts recommend a Python
library?  I would like to have:

A command reference for the basic library.
A comprehensive "How to" course for the basic library.
Graphics in Python
Data Management in Python
Using the internet with Python
(maybe Real Time(ish) Python)
A comprehensive "Learn Python" course that puts all this together

I realize that this is outside of the "help with this code" request, but
I would value your advice.

Ed O