[Tutor] need help

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Nov 1 22:57:32 CET 2012

On 11/01/2012 05:47 PM, Matthew Ngaha wrote:

>> Always, *always* include the *full* error message, otherwise we have to
>> guess. Not fun.  Some other questions: What operating system are you using?
>>  What version of Python does your tutorial assume?  Do you in fact have
>> Python 3 installed on your system?
>>

> maybe im running it from the wrong place.
>
> on IDLE i get: SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<pyshell#0>, line 1)

If you're inside IDLE, you do NOT run python commands, you run python
programs.  That's not what you want here.  When the instructions begin
python or python3, then it's a commandline thing, which you do from the
shell.

> and on cmd it says 'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program or batch file.

That's it, keep making us play detective to determine those things you
could easily have provided for us.  I'll guess you're running Windows,
because you mention cmd, and I'll guess it's Windows 8, since that's
just out this week.  And I'll guess you've installed Python 2.4, and
that's your problem, as Python3 won't be on your path when you've only
installed Python 2.4.

If perchance you're running XP, and have installed Python 3.2, then what
directory did it install into?  is that directory on your path?  What
happens when you run python itself, is it version 2.72 ?

--

DaveA