[Tutor] Python 2.7 Static Version and Postgresql

Opher Lubzens opher.lubzens at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:40:20 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Walter Prins <wprins at gmail.com> wrote:
> What does this work machine run exactly?  Why won't you be able to
> (for example) keep some libraries in your own home lib folder and
> update the library load path so that your own libraries can be used by
> your programs?  Does this machine have gcc (or some C compiler
> installed)?  Does it have any version of Python available at all?
>
> Anyway, if you've got enough freedom to install and run static python
> from your home account, then IMHO in theory you should have enough
> freedom to set up your own lib folder and probably ulimately even a
> complete _non-static_ Python environment in your home account. (+1 for
> Joel's virtualenv suggestion), though admittedly this may not be
> trivial by any means.

This is supposed to be a QA tool to be run on virtual machines to make
sure several of our features work correctly and do not degrade during
development and version changes.
Our machines are susually running a secure variant of the Linux bash
shell, (the specific flavour is company- developed). Unfortunately
this means that I cannot make sure there
is any additional library, or other modification that is not included
in a static bundle, on the machine- thus the need for either a
built-in or the ability to rebundle the package so
it includes them.

Thanks,
Opher Lubzens