[Tutor] Optimally configuring Emacs for W7-64bit and Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 23 11:14:28 CEST 2012

On 23/05/12 03:13, boB Stepp wrote:

> to Emacs, that provided things like code completion, etc. It was not
> clear to me if these would work with Windows

Yes, emavs is prettty much built on its own environment based on eLisp.
So mostfeatures of emacs work regardless of OS etc. Its only where emacs
integrates with the OS that differencews emerge. For example on Unix you
can run a grep from emacs and then step through the results from inside
emacs. Or if you compile a program the errors can be stepped through on
Unix because the compilers conform to the standard  reporting format,
but on windows compilers don't typically share an error format. So you
have to do a lot more app specific config on Windows than with Unix.

> Now I just looked at winpdb and it states that it must have wxPython
> installed.

> 2.8.12.1. If the versions of wxPython parallels that of Python then
> this means that version 3.x won't be supported. Is this correct?

They don;t track Python version numbers but a quick look suggests that
you are right there is no v3 version of wxPython yet. Which is
surprising and I thought there was...

FWIW the mapping of release to Python version is here:

http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#stable

> it did mention that there was a console version of winpdb that did not
> require wxPython, but would this be what you intended for me, Alan?

Nope, it was the GUI version. I've never tried the console version, its
probably worth a go since the native Python pdb debugger is a bit
primitive! OTOH using a debugger with Python is a relatively rare event,
simple print statements and the >>> prompt usually suffice.

> The Solaris at work is Solaris 8 and has many GUI-based apps, but I am
> forced to use whatever is on the computers.

Ah, ok, for some reason I thought you only had ssh access. I must be
getting my threads crossed :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site