[Tutor] Translating R Code to Python-- reading in csv files, writing out to csv files

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sat May 19 20:18:43 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM,  <eire1130 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I confese I haven't read your entire email, but have you looked at pyR? I believe it is a wrapper for python, giiving you access to r.

I am not sure I understand what you want to do.  Could you show a few
lines of your input data and then show how you want it to look once it
is processed?  The csv module is pretty easy to get going.

If your goal is to learn python I would check the documentation or
find a csv tutorial http://docs.python.org/library/csv.html

The reader will either write to python list or dict.  If you use the
list, you access each item with my_list[n] where n is the position
(starting with 0).  If you need to change the data, you can do that to
the list items.  If you need to output in a different order, or just
some fields try this:

in_date:  [1, 2, 3] --> out_data [2,1,3] would code like this:
out_data[]
out_data.append[1]
out_data.append[0]
out_data.append[2]

Then use the csv writer to write out_data to your file

I don't know R, but most python people will tell you its best to learn
the 'python way', and not try to 'translate' from another language.

--
Joel Goldstick