[Tutor] table to dictionary and then analysis

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri May 18 12:54:55 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 19:35 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 08:27:07AM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > Should we be promoting use of the format method in strings rather than
> > the % operator? % is deprecated now.
>
> It most certainly is not.
>
> There are no plans to deprecate the string % operator any time in the
> foreseeable future. It may, hypothetically, wither away from lack of use

OK I am clearly wrong with the statement I made.  I had assumed the
statement (*) that it would be deprecated in 3.1 was carried through, I
had not actually checked the reality in the 3.1 and 3.2 differences
documents.  My apologies for misdirection, thanks for pulling me up on
this.

(*) There is no statement of when deprecation would happen in PEP 3101
itself http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3101/ but there is an explicit
statement in
http://docs.python.org/release/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html#pep-3101-a-new-approach-to-string-formatting which clearly didn't happen even though it led to a lot of people thinking it would.

--