[Tutor] Auto-response for your message to the "Tutor" mailing list

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Sun May 13 12:05:43 CEST 2012

On 05/13/2012 04:17 AM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 13/05/12 07:21, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>>> This is the third time I've received a message "for those of you new
>>> to the Tutor list". When does it stop?
>
> I think these come when the listserver gets a message from a mailbox
> it doesn't recognise. It puts the mails in the moderation queue and
> sends the message(it used to send one to the moderators too but seems
> to have stopped doing that! :-(
>
> So if you are not subscribed to the list, or are subscribed but using
> a different mail address then you get one of these messages.
>
> I think.... But the settings of the sever are cloaked in mystery! :-)
>
> And that reminds me that I haven't checked the mod queue for over a
> week - oops!

I also seem to get one of these when I haven't posted for a couple of
weeks.  I never tried to calibrate it, but that's what it seems to be.
Perhaps it's keeping a cache of recent posters, and once I'm flushed
from the cache, it considers me new.

This is different from the case where I post from a different address.
In that case, I get a mail saying that only subscribers can post.  Or
something like that.

--

DaveA