[Tutor] Unable to open .py files directly

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Mar 19 16:06:50 CET 2012

On 3/19/2012 7:30 AM Surya K said...
> Hi there,
>
> I am facing a typical problem in opening .py files by clicking them (In
> windows).
>
> When ever I those files, there's a black window opening and closing
> immediately (I think, its output of python at python command line, NOT
> SURE). I have to open those files from IDE's or any test editors.
>
> I tried to fix it in 'default programs' list, but I just didn't find any
> problem there..
>

> I use PyScripter IDE. I think, this is making trouble (don't know how).
> actually, this problem has occurred after installing it.
> (I use Win7)
>
> How do I fix it.

You need to set the registered file type extension handler properly in
windows.  For XP it's in Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types.  I'm
not sure for win7.

Alternately, just install activestate python from
http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads

It will get you all the windows related support you're likely to want in
a single installation.

HTH,

Emile