[Tutor] Seeking help with reading and writing files in Python

Aristotle Aristotle at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 26 20:28:25 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am reading Tony Gaddis "Teach Python" book and I am having trouble
with an assignment that asks me to read from one file and then write to
another file. The problem is that the file to read from has not been
created yet. Can anyone help me understand this instruction a little
better? I am averaging an A in the course and would like to keep it.

Below you will find the correspondence between the instructor and
myself. ( Written Last to First)

Thanks,
Jim

Hello Ms. H,
I am still having trouble with using two text files. I cannot find any
examples in Cha.7 text book or Code Examples. Would you please point me
in the direction where I may find an example for this requirement?
Thank You,
Jim

Hello Ms. H,

The sequence of events that I am using now is to open a program that
will gather gallons used from user, call a module to make calculations,
use the info from the module to write info to a file named
FinalProjectBill.txt.

After that is done, I open another program that will read the info
written to FinalProjectBill.txt

I guess my confusion about the instructions is, if I should read from
one file FinalProjectBill.txt first how does data get written to that
file to begin with?

Thank you for the great help.

Jim

 From Instructor:
You should read from one file (FinalProjectBill.txt) and then write to
one (BranleyFinal.txt) with the results as we are learning file i/o
(input/output) -

The screen is fine to display results also, but in the real world, often
times all processing is done by reading and writing to files (actually
databases that are beyond the scope of this class) and nothing ever
displays on the screen.

You should not write to your input file.

Make sense?