[Tutor] measuring the start up time of an event-driven program

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 24 11:48:06 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:18:43AM -0700, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to test how long it takes for two versions of the same
> program to start up and be ready to receive commands. The program is
> SPSS version-very-old vs. SPSS version-latest.

I don't think this is a Python question. I think this is a "what tools
does my operating system provide for fine testing of process startup
time?" question.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect that the answer will be, "none". Which
OS are you using?

If the SPSS app has the ability to run commands specified from a
script, and then automatically exit, perhaps you can approximate
start-up time as "start-up, run an empty script, and exit" time,
assuming that running the script and exiting will be negligible.

Or, if the app is slow enough (I'm looking at you Chrome, fastest way to
browse the web my arse) perhaps you could just time it with a
stop-watch.

> I want to know how long the user on average needs to wait before he
> can start doing analyses in SPSS. If it takes way much longer in the
> new version, the user might be more inclined not to close the program
> after use, which may lead to a lack of concurrent licenses.

If you have to measure the difference to notice the difference, the
average user won't notice the difference.

--
Steven