[Tutor] Define Build Deployment

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 12 11:11:11 CEST 2012

On 11/07/12 16:31, James Bell wrote:
> I'm fairly new to software development in an enterprise environment I'm
> constantly hearing the term "build deployment" and do no want to ask
> what it means since it seems simple. I cannot find a definition online.

A build deployment is the deployment of a build.

A build is the assembly of all the parts needed for a project.
For a small project that could be as simple as a single code file or
executable that gets distributed by email/ftp or a web server.

For bigger projects it will probably involve lots of modules with
dependencies between them. There will likely be an installation script
and probably some documentation as well.

On very big projects a build could involve many separate programs (eg
server processes, a GUI client, an MIS reporting package, a data loader,
multiple documents (user guide, install guide, maintenance manual,
online help etc). The project build will ensure that all those files are
assembled in a consistent way ready to be installed on a target
environment (a customers site say).

The deployment is the actual installation of that build. For a big
project the deployment might be a multi day activity in its own right
with "professional services" people from the supplier going to the
customer site. It may even involve buying and installing new hardware
(dedicated servers, routers, or bespoke telemetry for example).
At the other end of the scale its simply a matter of making the build
available on an ftp server (as a zip file maybe) and the clients do the
install themselves.

HTH,
--
Alan G