[Tutor] Passing numeral result of a defined function to a named value

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Jul 4 17:09:14 CEST 2012

On 6/28/2012 11:51 PM Joseph Hines said...
> Hello. Sorry to bother you, but I'm self-teaching myself python, and
> having difficulty with a script I'm writing to auto-calc various derived
> stats for a PnP game I am hosting soon.
>
> I need to pass a numeral result of a defined function to a "named" value
> (not sure if that's what it's called)
>
> The offending segment of code is this:

... and what's the offending error? (provide traceback details please)

Do you mean to be defining a function within a try-except structure?  As
it stands you'll get a syntax error.

You've likely got an indetation issue on the line before except.

providing int_mod as some integer and reworking it to:

XP_Per_Level_Base = 20-int_mod
XP_Per_Level_Limit = 5
try:
      def XP_Per_Level_Calc(XP_Per_Level_Base, XP_Per_Level_Limit):
          if XP_Per_Level_Base < XP_Per_Level_Limit:
              return XP_Per_Level_Limit
          else:
              return XP_Per_Level_Base
except ValueError:
      print "Script B0RK3D, Link Shall Come to Town."
      print "send him a message at
Link6746 at gmail.com<mailto:Link6746 at gmail.com>"

XP_Per_Level = XP_Per_Level_Calc(XP_Per_Level_Base, XP_Per_Level_Limit)

gets it going, dut all in all it looks to me like this is simply a max
function and could be written more simply as:
     max(XP_Per_Level_Base,XP_Per_Level_Limit)

Emile