[Tutor] appending to a file on a new line

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Jan 19 16:12:16 CET 2012

On 01/19/2012 10:04 AM, ADRIAN KELLY wrote:
> guys,
> its a text file i am writing to and when i write the first time its fine, i get 3 lines of input collected from a user and written to my text file, however if i run the program again the next 3 lines begin at the end of the previous users details.  It works fine but starts from where the pointer left off.  i dont know how to solve this.  where do i put the '\n'?  to be honest the .join i dont understand but otherwise it prints as a list e.g. ('name','age','etc')
> Adrian

You top-posted.  Please put your response *after* what you're quoting.

Anyway, since you're the one writing the original file, the problem is,
as I said, the file is broken.  You don't write a trailing newline.  So
the simplest fix is to add another write() call.

User_info.write("\n".join(Details))
User_info.write("\n")

The join command puts the specified text *between* the list elements,
but not after the last one.

--

DaveA