[Tutor] Reg Ex Parentheses

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran+python at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:58:03 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Chris Kavanagh <ckava1 at msn.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, girls, hope everyone is doing well.
>
> Here's my question, when using Regular Expressions, the docs say when using
> parenthesis, it "captures" the data. This has got me confused (doesn't take
> much), can someone explain this to me, please??
>
> Here's an example to use. It's kinda long, so, if you'd rather provide your
> own shorter ex, that'd be fine. Thanks for any help as always.

"Capturing" means that the part of the string that was matched is
remembered, so you can extract parts of a string.  Here's a small
example that extracts the name and value part of a name=value style
string.  Note the use of parentheses, and the calls to the "group"
method of the match object.

the_string = 'A=B'
pair_re = re.compile("""^       # starting from the start of the string
                        ([^=]*) # sequence of characters not containing equals
                        =       # the literal equals sign
                        (.*)    # everything until...
                        $       # end of string
                      """, re.VERBOSE)
match_obj = pair_re.match(the_string)
print('Captured name was {}'.format(match_obj.group(1)))
print('Captured value was {}'.format(match_obj.group(2)))

--
regards,
kushal