[Tutor] making a custom file parser?

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Sat Jan 7 20:01:21 CET 2012

If it's unambiguous as to which tags are closed and which are not, then it's
pretty easy to preprocess the file into valid XML.  Scan for the naughty bits
(single quotes) and insert escape characters, replace with something else,
etc., then scan for the unterminated tags and throw in a "/" at the end.

Anyhow, if there's no tree structure, or its only one level deep, using
ElementTree is probably overkill and just gives you lots of leaking
abstractions to plug for little benefit.  Why not just scan the file directly?

Cheers