[Tutor] Which should it be, lists, tuples, dictionary or files?

Ken G. beachkidken at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:00:47 CET 2012

I have been using an Open Office Spreadsheet containing basically, the
food name, basic serving amount, calories, sodium and carbohydrate.
Daily, I entered the servicing amount being eaten and its calculate the
amount of calories, sodium and carbohydrate.  For some odd reason, I
kept losing the spreadsheet and its data.

I am interested in keeping track of the number of calories consumed each
day.  Due to losing the spreadsheet data so frequencies, I decided to
use Python in keeping track of the basic information and perhaps, keep
track of the calories in a file.

Over the last several months, numerous mention is made of lists, tuples
and dictionary here.  Basically, the format will be as follow:

Name of Food
Basic Serving Amount
Calories per serving
Sodium per serving
Carbohydrate per serving

For example,

Name:  Hominy, Golden (3.5)
Serving Size:  1/2 cup
Calories:  100
Sodium:  380
Carbohydrate:  20

The '(3.5)' indicated above is number of servings in a 15.5-ounce can.
It will not necessary be indicated.

Should the above five elements be stored as a list, tuples, dictionary
or file?  I am will familiar with files and have some knowledge of using
lists and tuples.  Not too familiar with dictionary.

Thank for any suggestion.

Ken