[Tutor] problem editing modules and defs

David Craig dcdavemail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:48:14 CET 2012

Hi again, sorry if that wasnt clear. I am using the ipython interpreter
to debug scripts. I have a function:-) saved as part of a module called
daves_modules.py.

    import numpy as np
    def find_nearest(array,value):

         idx=(np.abs(array-value)).argmin()
         return array[idx], idx

If I run the module from the interpreter as follows,

    In [610]: %run daves_modules.py

    In [611]: a = find_nearest(pos_time, highTime)

    In [612]: a
    Out[612]: (20.009998091697867, 200)

it works fine. However, if I use the same function in a script like this,

    import numpy as np
    import pylab as py
    from daves_modules import dist, find_nearest
    .
    .
    .
    a = find_nearest(pos_time, highTime)

I get the following error,

    %run SNR_UFAN_UCRUI.py
    IndexError                                Traceback (most recent
    call last)

    /home/davcra/python_scripts/SNR_UFAN_UCRUI.py in <module>()
          88 b = find_nearest(pos_time, lowTime)
          89
    ---> 90 pos_noise =
    (np.sum(pos_signal[0:a[1]])+np.sum(pos_signal[b[1]:-1])) / (a[1] +
    (len(pos_signal)-b[1]))
          91 neg_noise =
    (np.sum(neg_signal[0:-a[1]])+np.sum(neg_signal[-b[1]:-1])) / (a[1] +
    (len(neg_signal)-b[1]))
          92

    IndexError: invalid index to scalar variable.
    WARNING: Failure executing file: <SNR_UFAN_UCRUI.py>

If I then try to use the function in ipython again,

    In [614]: a = find_nearest(pos_time, highTime)

    In [615]: a
    Out[615]: 20.009998091697867

Note: the function originally only returned array[idx], so it seems to
have reverted to this somehow.