[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python developers?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 23 10:00:30 CET 2012

On 23/02/12 01:00, Tamar Osher wrote:
> Hi. I am still having trouble installing and using Python on my (new)
> Windows 7 computer, but I plan to contact Microsoft forums and see if
> they can help me, since this is a Windows problem and not a Python problem.

I doubt if you have any big issues.
You probably only need to set two environment variables that the latest
Pythion installers do not set for you. (I'm not sure why!)

> My question: For the future, what type of computer is best for Python
> developers? Do all Python developers use some type of Unix computer?

By no means, one of Pythons strengths is that the same code can run on
many OS. But as Steven has mentioned many developers use Linux because
GNU/Linux is designed as a developer's OS and comes with oodles of
tools. Most of those are available for Windows too but you have to go
find them, download them and install them.

I used Python on Windows for 11 years. I only switched to Linux full
time a year ago when Windows 7 became too expensive and I decided I
wasn't paying that much for an OS when a free alternative existed! But I
still have Python on my Win7 work's laptop. And I also have it on my 10
year old MacOS iBook. And the same python code runs on all of them...

So you don't need to switch OS, just tweak a couple of settings.
Go through the procedure I outlined in my previous mail and tell us how
you get on. It may be a reinstall of Python is needed, or it may just be
the two settings I mentioned above (PATH and PYTHONPATH)

One thing:
If you do a reinstall, download the ActiveState version rather
than the Python.org version. Active state tweak their Windows
version of Python to include a bunch of extra goodies for Windows
programmers.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site