[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python developers?

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Thu Feb 23 02:19:12 CET 2012

* Tamar Osher <emeraldoffice at hotmail.com> [2012-02-22 19:00]:

> Hi.  I am still having trouble installing and using Python on my (new)
> Windows 7 computer, but I plan to contact Microsoft forums and see if
> they can help me, since this is a Windows problem and not a Python
> problem.
>
> My question: For the future, what type of computer is best for Python
> developers?  Do all Python developers use some type of Unix computer?
> I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.
> Thanks for your time.

As always, the answer is "it depends."  If you plan on doing Win32
python programming, it doesn't make sense to use anything other than a
Windows system.  It is usually easier if you can develop on a system
that is similar to where your programs will run, but it is by no means a
requirement.  Your biggest challenge if developing on unlike systems,
will be using methods that might be OS-specific (os.fork() comes to
mind).

As long as you keep things neutral, you shouldn't have huge issues.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com