[Tutor] Help Designing a simple Program called Life

leo degon existentialleo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:50:12 CET 2012

Hello All,
            My name is Leo. I'm just beginning to learn python. I am
learning on my own and have no previous programming experience. I decided
to create a version of john conway's game of life as a personal project.

I've been wondering what GUI to use.
 I've been using Tkinter so far but I've not gotten very far. So far I've
started the basic window but now I'm kinda of stuck in how to proceed.

My idea is when the program initializes to have a root menu with a series
of options.
 Accepting these options under the  new game launches a window where you
can set the initial state of the board to the correct dimensions, colors,
rules, name and initial distribution of live cells. Accepting that window
would launch a window containing the game board and the in-game options. I
would like to be able to pause the game, run it at different speeds, and
add new live cells to the board. I would like to have multiple boards able
to run at once, and I would like the option to save a board and its rules
to load at a later time.

I'd like any ideas on how to approach this project in general and specific.

I'll post the code that I already have later today.