[Tutor] how to stop a running program in python without closing python interface?

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:55:26 CET 2012

>> actually a i ran a progam in python which is sufficiently large . so i
>> want to stop the execution of the program now . how can i do this?
>
> This will depend on your operating system.
>
> On a Mac you press alt + command + esc and the choose the program you want to Force Quit. I have no idea what you do on Windows or Unix.

Going by the subject line, and assuming you're running the python shell (I don't know about Python IDEs etc), you may want to try control-C instead. That will stop the currently running function or similar, while leaving you in the shell:

>>> while True:
...   pass
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>