[Tutor] how to control putty window

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Dec 21 16:59:52 CET 2012

Ufuk Eskici wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I changed my way. This time I'm using "plink" under Putty.
>
> My python code is:
>
> os.chdir("c:\\Program Files\\Putty")
> cmd = "plink -ssh -l ufuk10.10.10.10 -pw password"
> process = subprocess.Popen(cmd)
> inputdata="r van"
> result = process.communicate(inputdata)
>
> But after the successful SSH, I cannot continue, no command runs:
> This is the new output after the initial SSH connection:
> No data input.
>
> Last login: Fri Dec 21 16:27:
> ufuk at home-ubuntu:~$

I am not familiar with plink, so I cannot help you. I recommend using
an SSH module which help a lot with all of this. That being said, maybe this post will help:
http://code.activestate.com/lists/python-tutor/74807/

Also take a look at the subprocess.communicate documentation[1] as
it says
""" Interact with process: Send data to stdin. Read data from stdout and stderr, until end-of-file is reached. **Wait for process to terminate**. The optional input argument should be a string to be sent to the child process, or None, if no data should be sent to the child.
communicate() returns a tuple (stdoutdata, stderrdata).
Note that if you want to send data to the process's stdin, you need to create the Popen object with stdin=PIPE. Similarly, to get anything other than None in the result tuple, you need to give stdout=PIPE and/or stderr=PIPE too.
""" (emphasis added)
This suggests communicate is waiting for the plink to end? Also, you
should probably pass in a pipe so that you can send data more than
once.  Note, I am not familiar with subprocess so YMMV.

[1]http://docs.python.org/2.7/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen.communicate

Ramit