[Tutor] Pypi entry points

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:09:27 CET 2012

On 30 November 2012 09:38, Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to Packaging 1.0 documentation, specifically http://guide.python-distribute.org/creation.html. I am struggling to understand the section about Entry Points. This appears to be a way to include extra functionality in a program, without the need to actually include it in the tar.gz file. Or, as the website says: "[A] pretty easy and simple way to allow other packages to register something
> that you want to know. Extra plugins, extra render methods, extra functionality
> you want to register in your web application, etcetera." I find the code examples hard to understand. I'd expect that it'd be steps like "in the middle of the setup, download and unzip file xxxx.zip from website http://blaaah.eu. How does this work?

There are currently a lot of problems with documentation for features
available in setuptools/distribute/distutils2 and so on. The page you
linked to certainly seems incomplete to me and the text concerning
entry points seems to be lifted from here
http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2010/01/06/zest-releaser-entry-points.html

Try reading this
http://packages.python.org/distribute/setuptools.html#extending-and-reusing-distribute

If that doesn't help then further questions are probably more
appropiate on the distutils-sig mailing list

Oscar