[Tutor] askopenfilename - columns missing in navigationwindow

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 26 16:05:25 CEST 2012

On 26/08/12 11:56, Joel Levine wrote:
> Mystery of the day:  I'm using Python 2.6.  My program uses
>
> from tkFileDialog import askopenfilename
>
> and
>
> fn=askopenfilename()
>
> I use this program repeatedly.  Up to a few hours ago, the navigation
>window opened with a full array of columns, including name and date.
>
> Once I mistakenly typed  control-F  (Find) instead of letters (for the
>file).   Now the navigation window opens with only one column, the name
> column.

Control-F or Command-F?

(I assume Mac's still use the Command key, ⌘ -- it's been many years
since I've had a Mac.)

> The problem is there in my program, or in the IDLE interpreter, or in
>a terminal Python interpreter -- just using the two lines,  the import
>statement and the askopenfilename.

I expect that this is Mac-specific behaviour. On Linux, at least, I don't
get multiple columns at all, and Control-F does nothing.

I expect that the file dialog box you see is the native Mac open file dialog,
and Ctrl-F (or Cmd-F) doesn't do Find inside the dialog, but changes the
dialog settings, which are then remembered for the next time. Have you tried
hitting Ctrl-F again to see if it toggles the change?

You may need to ask some Mac experts how to control the open file dialog
settings.

--
Steven