[Tutor] Hello Python Tutor - help please!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 22 18:26:40 CEST 2012

On 22/08/12 11:10, Cecilia Chavana-Bryant wrote:

> "I do not know how to programme!". Thus, I was hoping that some of you
> can remember how you got started and point me towards any really good
> interactive learning guides/materials and/or have a good learning
> strategy for a complete beginner.

At the risk of self promotion you could try the early stages of my
tutorial (see .sig).

It starts from level zero and explains the concepts of programming
before getting started writing code. I personally found that to be
fundamental to my learning when I started (and why I included it!).

It then goes through the basic programming structures using very
simple examples - a multiplication table and address book mainly.
(It includes VBScript and Javascript examples too but feel free to
ignore them if you find they confuse more than help! The intent is to
show the common structures present in all programming languages :-)

Whether you progress beyond the first two sections depends on what you
want to do next. Those would be enough to start writing programs related
to your work and switching to another tutor at that point
might be effective.

But the concepts topics at the start of my tutor are I think
relatively unique, and if diving straight into writing code isn't
working maybe a view of the bigger picture will help.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site