[Tutor] specifying my "default" python installation

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Aug 17 17:05:43 CEST 2012

> I am new to both freebsd and python.
> I have python 2.6 and 3.2 both installed on freebsd.
> "python" runs python 2.6 and I need to use "python3.2" to run python 3.2
> Do I need to do something to make python 3.2 the default?

I am not really familiar with BSD but *nix has the application
update-alternatives. That will do what you want. Otherwise,
you could change the name/location in the bin directory.
It is likely that python is a symlink to python2.6 and all
you need to do is change the symlink to point to python3.2.
If no symlink is used you can rename the binaries instead.

Apologies in advanced if this is way off base.

Ramit